Need help finding it?

Thursday, December 1, 2011

THAT'S GROSS, MOMMY!

If there is one thing that I have come to know as a parent, it is that kids say the damnedest things. Sometimes, it is so hard not to lose it and laugh at them when they're holding a serious conversation with you. I do my best, but hey - I'm human...and my three-year-old is becoming quite the conversationalist.

"Mommy, guess what?"

Taking a moment to pause while stirring dinner, which is going to be sauteed chicken, I turn to her lovely shining face. "What honey-bunch?"

"I like purple."

"Is that so? I'm glad you told me. Thank you."

She ponders for a moment. "Mommy, I really like purple."

I take a deep breathe, "I really like chicken."

Obviously, I'm not getting it. She tries again, "Mommy - can you guess what?"

"Probably not, could you save me the effort and just tell me?"

"I LIKE PURPLE!"

"I see."

Moments pass. Chicken is sauteing. Veggies are steaming. "Guess what?!?"

I look down at her. I smile. Chuckling to myself I respond, "Chicken butt?"

"UUUUGHHHH! You're gross. You're really, REALLY gross!" I'm trying not to laugh. "Gross, gross, GROSS Mommy." I've stopped stirring. I'm trying so hard. She looks distraught. I'm going to have to leave the room in a minute if she doesn't stop. I have tears welling. Then she laid it on me. "Is chicken butt purple?"

We ate slightly burnt chicken tonight.

1 comment: