Need help finding it?

Friday, February 6, 2015

I Hope You Dance...Er, Um, Grow. I Hope You Grow.

Outsourced.  It's an easy word to say, comprehend even.  It's a hard word to grasp in concept, you know...when you've been the Outsourcee.  I find myself quickly approaching the first anniversary of my Outsourcedness.  It's a strange matter.

Like the 12 steps of AA, Outsourcing takes you through a myriad of emotions: anger, bitterness, numbness, and, if you're lucky...hope.

I found the hope in my new found job as Domestic CEO.  I made a choice to tackle that like I tackle most everything in my way in life; with zest and fervor (truly, the only thing I may love more than tackling is headbutting - but that's a whole different story).  I hoped [there it is again] that this would be the best job of my life, and with all things, I like succeeding so I gave it my all.  I cleaned my house as if I was possessed.  I repaired things.  I remodeled.  I grew tomatoes.

Tomatoes.  Yes?

No.  Whooooooa, no.

A friend gave me hope [oh boy!] that I too, could have a garden.  "Let's start small," I said.  "I've killed everything I've grown except my husband and kids to date."  I took a class.  I ran to various stores to purchase supplies.  I threw some seeds in peat and put them on my porch in the glorious sunlight to thrive and be fruitful.

They were rotated.  And watered ["BE CAREFUL NOT TO OVERWATER!" I told myself].  And then, sweet Baby Jesus...they grew!  AND GREW!  I took pictures.  I texted friends.  I believe, I posted it in social media.  I was proud.  In the back of my mind I spit on my Outsourcer, "Let me go, will you?  I'll show you how miraculous I am...I'm growing tomatoes!"

It came time to transfer my seedlings into my containers.  I mixed soils and composts and fertilizers in my garage.  I readied my containers with love and care.  I chose their new homes with precision and calculation - paying heed that the deer that love my yard would not get to them.  Moving day came and went.  ...And so did my babies.

Everyday I would check them.  "They're not growing."  I'd water them.  I'd beg them.  I scoured the internet and books from the library to see what I'd done wrong.  "...they're...not...growing..."

"No, No, NO!  This can't be happening."  After all, I had hope.

And as the days passed into those first crucial weeks, my hope, like those poor, poor tomato souls - died.  The day I had the strength to pronounce their death, my neighbor witnessed something horrifying.  He stood behind me for God knows how long, and watched as I swore at my failed attempt at gardening.  He watched me beg, and I think I heard his snort when I finally offered them money and/or drugs if they. just. grew.  I kicked their bucket  - literally, not figuratively or metaphorically - and stomped away.

I let go of hope of homemade ketchup and spaghetti sauce and salsa and pizza sauce and fresh Caprese salads.  I pouted.  I.  Was.  Hopeless.

That is, until this Christmas.  I gave my husband a composter.  And my friend tells me, "Your tomatoes are going to LOVE his compost.  You can do it this year...I know you can!"  ...and I purchased some seeds.

No comments:

Post a Comment