Need help finding it?

Friday, November 24, 2017

...But The Foodies

SoCo.  SoCo, SoCo, SoCo...  I'm lucky in that I don't think there is anyone who doesn't love my dog.  She's pretty awesome, and obviously I'm a huge fan.  ...except when I'm trying to cook.  ...especially when I'm trying to cook Thanksgiving dinner.

This year I took over the longstanding Thanksgiving dinner tradition from my mom.  In an effort to make her transition more bearable, she came to "assist" me with all the cooking.  And so did SoCo.  Every time we moved, she was underfoot, in the way, laying where I needed to walk, sniffing at the counter.

Me: UGH!  SoCo, you gotta move!
SoCo: I.  Am.  Dog...and there is foodies.  I can have foodies?
Me: NO!  It's Thanksgiving.  It's not for you, and you're not allowed people food.
SoCo: ...but you drop the things on the floor.  And I eats them.  I can have foodies?
My Mom: SoCo, honey...I'm not going to drop anything on the floor.  Shooo!
SoCo: But Granny; you love me and I love the foodies.  I can have your foodies?
Mom: No!  I'm not gonna drop anything.
Me: Dog!  Go bark at squirrels or something.
SoCo: But the sniffies...
Mom: GET!

At this point, she huffs at my mother, and dejectedly walks two feet away and throws herself on the floor in the doorway to the family room, with her head facing us.

Dips are made, snack trays are laid out, stuffing is prepped, mixed and our group effort begins to shove it up this bird's ass.  In our attempts a few gobs fall on the floor.  That dog is up like a rocket and that stuffing was gobbled faster than a turkey...well...fast.  OK?

SoCo: I am dog and that was delicious.
Me: Thanks, now get out.
SoCo: But the foodies.  I must help you.  You don't want to step on that in your slippers.  Yuck.
Me: IT'S GONE, YOU ATE IT!
Mom: GET!

Again with the huffing and throwing on the floor.

Fast forward to turkey carving.  Now, there are four grown adults in the kitchen.  Countless people milling about.  My husband attempts to use two forkey things to flip the turkey over for his first carving in our new home.

Me & Mom in unison: NOOOOOOO!  It's falling apart!  DOOOOOOON'T.



Once more, rocket dog is there, somehow in between my husband and the island in front of him and the pieces that drop don't even stand a chance.

SoCo: I am dog and I knew you loved me best.  Thank you Daddy, that was yummy!

I guess patience does have it's benefits.  From my family and fat dog to yours - Happy Thanksgiving!

2 comments:

  1. He comes back to me with my phone and saus "But the foodies....hahahha!" And just to note, my dog is ALWAYS underfoot, I just about lost my mind (and neighbors) as I yelled louder and louder "GIT OTTA THA KITCHEN!!!!"

    ReplyDelete
  2. True, always underfoot but this time she was moving faster than the speed of light as we almost lost the entire freaking turkey...on top of her. Hahaha

    ReplyDelete