Need help finding it?

Friday, November 3, 2017

Squirrel!

I have never shied away from the fact that I have the attention span of a gnat.  And never has it been more visible than since I've resumed my full-time responsibilities at FH Inc..

Every morning I make my daily To-Do List and attempt to get through it.  A To-Do List for a grown woman?  Every day?  Yes.  Because if I don't have this list...well, it's too terrifying to ponder.  Here is how the typical Friday runs down for me:

To-Do List:
Set Up This Month's Budget & Bill Pay
Change Bedding
Do Laundry
Get Stamps
Grocery Store
[this is about 1/2 my daily list...but if I can get through these items, I'll consider it a huge win]

Here is how my day actually goes:

I sit down at the computer to do budget & pay bills. I actually do set up the budget, but in my attempt to open a new tab to pay the bills, I'm sidetracked by The FB blinking that I have multiple alerts.  In the midst of checking the alerts the younger two children come downstairs bickering.

I get up, resolve their conflict and take stock of the kitchen.  I start wiping counters...which then morphs into picking up the items that don't belong in my kitchen and I complain to any living thing with ears about how crap gets left all over the place and I'm the only one picking it up, but yet strangely; none of the stuff is mine.

"I am dog.  It's not mine either, Mommy.  Can I have a cookie?"

I lean down to pet my dog.  Ugh.  She needs to be fed.  I open the pantry and scoop her food.  While in the pantry, I see nothing is put in it's 'Sleeping with the Enemy' perfect place.  I begin to shift items around and turn cans so that the label faces out.  Faces.  Gross!  I need to brush my teeth.

I head upstairs where, you guessed it, I do anything but brush my teeth.  Oh!  I'm supposed to change the bedding today!  Woohoo!  I strip my bed down.  Back down the stairs I go to put the sheets in the washer.  Great!  Something accomplished.  Man!  I forgot to bring down all the other laundry.  I go back upstairs and start in my room and see the hubs has things sitting on the hope chest.  I have to mend things.  I scoop up items and go down into the craft room.  There's mending to do!

I set his clothes that are in need of buttons replaced on the counter and stretch and turn around.  Whoa.  My yarn stash is looking a little off it's game.  I should put "Get some yarn" on my list.  Upstairs I go.  I sit down at the computer, where I left my list and write: Yarn?  Hmmm...let's see if I can remove anything off my list.  Bedding?  Nope...  Let's fix that.

I head back upstairs to put clean sheets on the bed.  Did I brush my teeth yet?

This continues all day long until the kids come home.  We sit down to get through homework and then I start dinner.  Usually about then, I'm recapping everything accomplished in a mental check and I realize that I've still not brushed my teeth.  But hey!  The house is insanely tidy and while I didn't check but one or two of the big ticket items off my list, I've done quite a bit...I've even...

I should go up and brush my teeth - "HEY!!!  Whose shoes are these piled up by the front door?!?!"

No comments:

Post a Comment