Need help finding it?

Monday, May 9, 2011

The Day My Soul Died

...and so it began. The day started out simple enough. I shoved the kids into my Jeep. And by shoved, I truly mean CRAMMED. Their two bottom feeding boosters and one high backed five harnessed booster are strapped into the automotive love of my life...a 4WD, manual transmissioned hybrid of kick ass and rugged. We put our buckles on...and we giddy'd up.

My road is currently under construction. For anyone who knows the 4th season of the year in NYS - you are familiar with Orange Cone Season; commonly referred to as: Construction - you know that means that my residential street is tore the hell up. I quickly shifted into second gear and sent a cascade of small pebbles all over creation as I peeled out of the driveway. Delighted squeals exploded from the backseat. I'd even taken off my top for the voyage...no, you pervert! Not that top - my Jeep Top.

Ahhh, the wind in our hair, the sun on our face and the smell of construction dust flying around us. We down-shifted and gassed it through potholes the size of craters. I, at the children's beck & command, blasted through every mud puddle in our path. Hard core, head banging rock music trumpeted from my superior sound system. The four of us were in Utopia. Giggles erupted from the heavens. This was MY day.

We charged on over to Home Depot, where we ruthlessly filled the back end up with dirty things such as mulch and bags of various lawn care sundries. We pulled into the driveway. Wait, no - scratch that. Driveways are for sissies. We parked on the damned front yard! All the kids undid their restraints and gladly jumped out of my Jeep hooting and hollering.

My son. My boy. My pride and joy. My sweet, cherished middle child looked up at me with his soft cow eyes. He batted his mile long eyelashes at me - all smiles. He beamed at me in consuming devotion. I leaned in close, prepared to hear, "Mommy - that was the best ride ever!"

Instead, he joyously pronounced, "That was fun, but Daddy's car is way better than yours..." I was shocked so speechless, I near choked on my own saliva.

In case you were not aware - my husband drives a minivan.

1 comment:

  1. biggest LOL ever!!!!!!!!!!!! (I hear Nelson's voice in the distance, pointing at at you mockingly, "Ha, ha.")
    not that I agree with Nelson - minivans SUCK
    although - Conor keeps asking for one (shudder)

    ReplyDelete