Need help finding it?

Friday, April 13, 2012

Just Karate Chop the Hell Outta It...

One of my favorite times in my house is when I’m making dinner. I get home earlier than most, and this is my time with my kids. And by “with my kids” I mean – I send them out of my kitchen after my rounds of huggies are done. “Go on, go play so mommy can make something nutritious for your tummies.”

This is my zen time. I get to cook, usually uninterrupted by my three little angels. Our house has great acoustics, so I can usually hear most everything going on in the other room. Some moments are priceless gems as these siblings have a moment of shining glory and play together nicely, and some moments are well – moments of pure insanity. Mostly these moments rule. Many times, I let them play out and see how it unfolds – only stepping in when I sense danger with my Spidey-sense tingling. And some moments, the best moments are when I hear the most random and bizarre things being said in the other room that leave me with no clue as to what these little darlings are even thinking, let alone doing (please keep in mind that they are seven, five and three years old).

“I’m going to work, and when I get there I’ll have a briefcase.” Nice. I’m wondering if they even know what a briefcase is. I don’t think I know anyone who actually owns one…

“You can’t put that there, because then chocolate will get flung all over the ceiling.” Good thing I plan on painting the living room soon.

“I’m not going to hug you because T-Rex will bite your face off.” Oh my. That’s sorta disturbing.

“I’m just going to use my strainer as a tennis racquet and we’ll be able to play golf just fine.” Watch out Tiger Woods.

“Did you see how far that went? I didn’t know your baby could fly.” Thank God we’ve finally decided on not having any more kids.

“And then I karate chop the soup and you can have it for dinner.” That is precisely how Julia Childs would do it – she’d just karate chop the hell out of it.

We have an old house with creaky hardwood floors so most of these moments are followed by children scampering about and crawling on their knees – creaking away. The moments are gone in the blink of an eye, but some will always stick with me…Such as, “Smell my finger.” Seconds later when I looked in, there were no children in the room other than the one with the stink finger, and I decided it best to just not ask any questions…

3 comments:

  1. I realized I need to start reading your blog to see what I have to look forward to! You still make me laugh :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. There is so much to look forward to, as long as you remember to ONLY trust consistencies. My husband sent them out to adventure in the woods yesterday so we could have 5 minutes to discuss something. I realized it was too quiet, wondered where they were...then looked out the window, "Well, just as I suspected - there isn't much wood adventuring going on but a whole lotta wood sword fighting with what looks like the baby being used as the pinata..."

    ReplyDelete
  3. stinky finger....eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeewwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww

    ReplyDelete