Need help finding it?

Thursday, August 30, 2012

No, I Wasn't Watching That...

Admittedly, we are TV junkies.  I have this bizarre fascination with educational TV and documentaries.  On any given cold wintery day (or most any late evening) I can be found plopped on my couch, snuggled up with the hubs watching either of the aforementioned.  And then, I have a guilty pleasure.  A self-indulgence so wicked I'm nearly ashamed to go into it.  But discuss it I did, and found that many parents of small children share my obsession.

Thank you, Disney Channel for Phineas & Ferb.  Many nights, I find myself still watching enthralled long after my children have gone to bed; having selected yet another episode from our Netflix queue.  And I'm not alone.  These two fun loving and genius kids, along with their pet platypus turned secret agent, can keep me endlessly entertained.  The show is witty, hilarious and horribly addicting.  Let me explain their magic.

The show has offensive stereotypes straight down to their fat white trash bully or the Indian kid who yearns for extra credit, yet the show is hardly offensive.  There is creativity and song abound.  Song?  Yes, song...  Most recently we watched a repeat episode where they circumnavigate the world during the solstice to truly make the most of the longest day of the year.  They stop in the Himalayas to visit Baljeet's uncle's rubber band & ball factory.  This clip is not for the faint of heart....

This song was stuck in my head for days on end.  Just when I thought I might be rid of singing it at my desk while at work, my husband goes out for the night.  During our bedtime routine, my son was lollygagging through his shower.  I promise music should he continue in a timely fashion.  I play the clip.  This bubble laden kid starts to shake it.  "Rubber bands....RUBBER BALLS"  [insert a pelvic thrust here for good measure]  I snort.  "THEY CAN BOUNCE BLAH BLAH MMMM MMMM SOME AYYYYYYEEEEE".  This kid belts for all he is worth.  His bubble covered body poof becomes a microphone.  [throw in some more tiny hiney shaking]  I bust out laughing and have to leave the bathroom.

Moments later he emerges, only to stand in his robe in the living room shaking his posterior like it's his full time job.  His sisters get up and join in.  Suddenly, everyone is singing.  Loudly; and off-key, "RUBBER BANDS, RUBBER BALLS....THIS IS WHERE THEY TEST THE STRETCHING..."  I get up and attempt to corral the next one into the bathroom.  For any parent out there, you know this is as pointless as herding cats.  Finally, everyone is bathed and rubber-banded out.  I breathe a sigh of relief and plop on our couch.

My husband strolls in an hour or so later, to find me in the same position, and totally engrossed in - you guessed it: Phineas & Ferb.  And it never once occurred to me to change the channel.  He begins to laugh at me...that is until I get up and sing, "Rubber bands, rubber balls..." Let's just say the kiddies aren't the only ones who can shake it to this catchy beat...

No comments:

Post a Comment