Need help finding it?

Friday, August 17, 2012

Show Me Yo Teef...

This past week has been an adventure, as we have assembled our family for our yearly reunion.  This is something I look forward to every year.  We took the week off.  We visited.  We went places.  We laughed...a lot.  And most of all, we learned all about dentures.

My son is a precocious little boy.  Not your typical little boy.  He likes dinosaurs, but not like most boys do.  He likes to learn about them, to sit for hours studying their anatomy, to dig for their bones in my back yard.  He wants to be a paleontologist when he grows up...well, for now.  After this week, I think he might want to be a dentist.

See, I needed someone to watch my kids while I went out to the car.  Bring in: Aunt Mary.  Come to find out I didn't need to go to the car, so I walked in on a run amok game of Simon Says.  I stepped in.  My oldest was horrified when I shouted, "Simon says take out your teeth!" and Aunt Mary complied.  My son was transfixed.

Aunt Mary's teeth that night became something akin to a rock star in my house.  "She can take them out, that is SOOOOOO cool."  We had more conversations than I can count.

"I want to be able to take out my teeth, but they're in there pretty good."

"I wonder if her teeth hurt her?"

"Great Grandpa Hausler had fake teeth too, which allowed him to eat hard things like rocks!"

Really?!?!  Rocks?  It's become fact that I cannot argue against, because all three of my creative children have seen him eat hard things, such as rocks and boulders, when he was alive.  Nice.  I'm glad you all will remember your Great Grandfather fondly, but must you really call him Great Grandpa Rock Biter?  Sigh...

At dinner I sit my son next to Aunt Mary, knowing full well I can bribe him to eat his dinner if she takes out her teeth once more.  He walks in, and lights up when he sees her.  "Aunt Mary, will you come sit by me?"  He proceeds to plague her with questions about her dental apparatus.  This poor woman.  Our rides home every night are spent answering and  dodging questions about how grown ups get fake teeth, while staring at this little boy who is plotting on getting his own pair.

"George Washington had wood teeth," pipes the oldest from the back seat.  Oh Boy.  "Well, if wooden teeth are good enough for our first president, they are good enough for me."  And that was that.  At least birthday present shopping this year has been made easier for me.  "Hi, I'd like one set of archaic wooden dentures, please?"

And for anyone who encounters my son on a go forward, please be patient when his first question is, "Can you take out your teeth???"

No comments:

Post a Comment