Need help finding it?

Friday, June 17, 2011

Linda Blair

Two Words. Projectile. Vomit. When I say it in my head, it feels more like a paragraph than two simple words. Once upon a time, I was uncomplicated, unspoiled…and well, puke free. Back in those days, projectile vomit was something I had heard of but never experienced. It was that funny thing that happened to Frat Boys who had eaten bad chicken wings the night before a bender.

In any case – did you know that stuff can actually launch 6 feet? I sure as hell didn’t. It was a scene straight out of the Exorcist (which, incidentally – I always thought was contrived; the barf scenes that is). How terribly mistaken I was!

I was awoken in the wee hours of the morning by the bellowing cries of my infant daughter. I rushed down to her crib. I pick her up…as she is facing away from me (and now, I look back and all I can think is, “Sweet Jesus…thank you for that.”), I move to her changing table b/c something just doesn’t smell right. Oh, little did I know…that the smell I thought was the meager “stinky-poo” my bundle of love had made was really Hades reincarnate trying to escape the Underworld via the porthole of my baby’s mouth.

Upchuck hurled out in a fire-hose blast that was so powerful, it knocked me backwards. I stood transfixed. It went full force and nailed a wall easily 5 feet away. I must have screamed, as my husband ran downstairs. He called my name, "Cathy?". I turned. The hork followed suit. In a stream lasting what probably was a sum of 30 seconds, I took out 3 out of 4 bedroom walls, a crib, a changing table, a rocking chair, two dressers, a toy box, much of the floor, the dog and the front of my now appalled husband. Immediately, my twisted mind thought, “If we could unleash this power properly; we’ll never have to pay to power wash the house again.”

The baby, unscathed in this whole extravaganza, burped once (to which, I almost dropped her on the floor and ran for my life) and passed right out. It was in that precise moment, I realized that the saying “sleeping like a baby” meant you could wake up screaming, yak your guts out and go right on back to sleep without a care in the world…the next time someone says, “Oh, she’s sleeping like a baby.” I’m bolting for the door.

3 comments:

  1. Hmmm... Sounds vaguely familiar (but far worse) to someone you MAY have had the pleasure of rooming with in college... this stuff just seems to follow you around! So sorry! Hope baby is feeling better, but as I remember, once it's out you feel MUCH better :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah, I never had to clean up after you in college. haha. In any case - that baby in the story is now 6...and that scene played out every day for near a year. I'm glad I finally found an outlet.

    ReplyDelete